Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Death Valley Express

The Death Valley Express is the name I have given to my attempt at a Badwater Double, or Death Valley 300. The start is August 8th at 6:00 PDT. I expect it to take six to seven days to complete the 292 mile round trip from Badwater in Death Valley to the summit of Mt. Whitney and back. This journey includes the extreme temperatures of this region, arduous climbs out of Death Valley, Panamint Valley, and from Owens Valley to the 14,505 ft (4,421 m) summit of Mt. Whitney. My five person crew will make sure I am safe, watered, and fed - and most of all give me the best possible chance at completing my journey.

Because of a seriously herniated lumbar disk, I will be walking most of the way. But, the very fact that I am making this attempt at all has taught me a valuable lesson -- to never, ever give up because dreams do come true.

Follow me and Team Latter here as we make our way across the desert and to high elevations and back again. We will be out there long enough that something interesting will surely happen!

3 comments:

  1. pat says "scorpions and lizards have right of way".

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am in complete awe, and inspired by you! I will send as many good runner vibes your way that I can muster (which BTW, will be alot after reading your story)! -Kendra

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope all goes well on the road to Lone Pine (sounds like one of those Hope/Crosby pictures). I guess I never took a close look at that climb from Lone Pine to the Summit - am I wrong or is that a greater total ascent (over the same 13 miles) than Pikes Peak summit from Manitou Springs? Slow and Steady big guy!
    -Nelsen

    ReplyDelete