Sunday, August 15, 2010

There is No Finish Line

Hi All. I just finished eating the trail mix I would have carried up the mountain, and thought it time for a quick post. Thanks to all for following my adventure and for the encouraging words.

Today I am happy as any perrson can be. I lived a dream. A dream that I had thought was taken away from me forever. Though the initial goal was not met, I dug deep and made the most important goal happen. My feet remain sore. The idea of pulling shoes over the still fire-red wounds is not appealing.  The infection is under control thanks to antibiotics, though the swelling remains uncomfortable. That all aside, I feel fantastic! It will not be long before I am back on the road, planning a new adventure.

But, no adventure will ever match the one I just had.

To Team Latter: There are not enough thanks to give.

Though I was alone for most all of the time, those brief times for support were fun and critical. It is a fact that I would not have made it past Stovepipe Wells without the dedication to my journey not only by myself, but my team. In addition, through my suffering I saw friendships born. With that my journey became bigger and more rewarding.

I will end this post with a quote from Rich Benyo's book, Death Valley 300, that I now know to be true for me as well.

"We had done this thing we had set out to do, and instead of becoming larger because of the experience, we became smaller, more humble, more aware of how little we know: about the world in general, about ourselves specifically."

August 8th, the start date of the Death Valley Express was my late brother's birthday. Technical problems prevented my start to music that I hoped to play. These photos reminded me of that. The song was "He ain't heavy, he's my brother."
The road is long...

with many a winding turn....
that leads us to who knows where...
so why not share.

3 comments:

  1. I couldn't be happier for you. I am anxious to hear what the next adventure will be. You are an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was my pleasure and privilege to serve as part of your crew. I sincerely look forward to our reunion and the playing of "He's My Brother" before we view your journey. It is fitting, indeed. Rick rests in peace. He smiles upon you. Now you may be at peace.

    God bless.
    Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats Bill. Very incredible achievement!

    David

    ReplyDelete